Case Study on MPR Urban City, an affordable housing project
-Creating positive impact on environment with sustainable living practices
As we all know, the construction industry is one of the biggest consumers of non-renewable resources. The Green Building concept is a way to fill in the gap between the knowledge of construction developers and the conservation of energy during the life cycle of a building. Green affordable houses are one step forward toward sustainable living conditions.
MPR Urban city is an affordable housing project that has adopted and implemented sustainable design and construction practices after consultation with IIFL Home Finance Limited's Green Value Partner (IIFL HFL's GVP) team. Following this, the project has been certified at ‘Platinum’ level by the IGBC under their green affordable housing rating. Currently, the construction of phase I of the project is completed. Construction of Phase II will initiate shortly. In the meantime, the project team is in the process of applying for final certification for Phase I.
The (GVP) team is hand-holding the project team in getting IGBC certification starting from the registration of the project, facilitating in hiring a GVP empaneled green building consultant and from time to time coordinating with the IGBC for ensuring implementation of suggested features at the project site. Some features suggested by the GVP team were adopted in the project, including:
1. Installation of water efficient plumbing fixtures as a water conservation strategy
2. Energy efficient building envelope to maintain indoor thermal comfort
3. Handling of construction and demolition waste to divert it from being sent to landfills
4. Installation of drip and sprinkler irrigation systems to conserve freshwater used in landscaping
5. Use of low VOC paints to improve occupant health
6. Strategies to prevent the heat island effect by both roof & non-roof areas
7. Methods to collect the rainwater to the harvesting pits without any debris
The project MPR Urban City is well known by its green features and will create a net positive impact on the environment by adoption and implementation of various sustainability measures such as:
1. 22% of green cover in the total site area to reduce the heat island effect
2. Total roof area will be covered with high SRI paints to prevent heat absorption which will help in reduction of the usage of AC’s
3. STP will be installed to treat 100% of wastewater generated from the buildings and the treated water will be reused for the purpose of landscaping, car washing and for flushing
4. Rain water recharge pits will be installed to capture 100% of site runoff which will facilitate groundwater recharge
5. All the dwelling units are designed to allow adequate amount of daylight and ventilation
6. Educating the construction work force every 3 months regarding the green practices and health & safety guidelines
7. 90% of the construction building materials will be locally sourced
8. Topsoil had been preserved and stockpiled for future landscaping purposes
9. Most pathways will be shaded by tree foliage cover
Once the project is operational, it will contribute towards natural resource consumption (energy & freshwater) and GHG emissions offset. The estimated impacts are as follows:
1. Annual energy consumption reduction – 508.5 MWh
2. Annual water consumption reduction – 29.37ML
3. Annual GHG emissions offset – 467.79 TCO2e
Mr. Medapati Vishnuvardhan Reddy, CEO, Tranquillo Projects & Holdings at the Regional Kutumb held on 13th May 2022 at Hyderabad announced that the hand-holding from the GVP team has helped them realize that integrating sustainability into the project at the design stage made it easier to secure their green certification from IGBC. He also announced that their new project ‘Aura’ will also be targeting a green certification from IGBC with the support of the GVP team.
The methodology of Green Value Partnership is supported by sustainable aspirations to set up palpable targets for conveying reasonable business results adjusted to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
To know more about IIFL HFL’s GVP initiative click here: https://www.iiflhomeloans.com/green-value-partner-overview
Disclaimer: The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. IIFL Home Finance Limited (including its associates and affiliates) ("the Company") assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the contents of this post and under no circumstances shall the Company be liable for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment, etc. suffered by any reader. All information in this post is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness, or of the results, etc. obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose. Given the changing nature of laws, rules, and regulations, there may be delays, omissions, or inaccuracies in the information contained in this post. The information on this post is provided with the understanding that the Company is not herein engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisers. This post may contain views and opinions which are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency or organization. This post may also contain links to external websites that are not provided or maintained by or in any way affiliated with the Company and the Company does not guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any information on these external websites. Any/ all (Home/ Loan Against Property/ Secured Business Loan/ Balance Transfer/ Home Improvement Loan/ NRI Home Loan/ Home Loan for Uniformed Services) loan product specifications and information that may be stated in this post are subject to change from time to time, readers are advised to reach out to the Company for current specifications of the said (Home/ Loan Against Property/ Secured Business Loan/ Balance Transfer/ Home Improvement Loan/ NRI Home Loan/ Home Loan for Uniformed Services) loan.